Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A Soldier in Our Family!

As many of you know, my little sister has married the love of her life, Chris. They have been together nearly 3 years and have been through a ton. What people may or may not know is my little sister married a soldier. Chris is a rocket scientist, literally, for the United States Air Force. He is about to become a First Lieutenant in June, which is a big deal, and he deserves a huge congratulations!

In late February, Chris put in to deploy to Afghanistan. He had put in for several others and not received it, and I think thought that was going to be what happened again this time. However, the next day he was told he had been accepted and would be touring with the U.S. Army. This started a whirl wind event of a wedding, packing their house, and moving J home and Chris heading for a two month training.

Over the last two months, Chris has been through hell and back both physically and emotionally, preparing for life overseas. Which is probably to be expected. However, what I didn't really realize was what it is like for the family. I mean, I figured for the wife of a soldier it would be HELL, but just being a sister-in-law has been overwhelming at times. There is truly not a day that I don't pray for Chris to return home safely.

Now, I need to vent on some of the things my little sister has been through. She is very sensitive to Chris's feelings and is always talking to him trying to make sure their marriage remains strong. They have shared with each other their fears, their hopes, etc. and I believe it is truly making them stronger. However, people who know Jocelyn but not very well have said some horrible things to her, and it makes me want to beat them and knock some sense into them. For example, someone had this conversation with her.

Jocelyn says, "I need to go by an American Flag and hang it at my house." Anonymous person says, "Jocelyn, I would hold off on that for a little bit." Jocelyn, "Oh, how come?" Anonymous, "Because you will receive the flag off of Chris's coffin." I want to know who in the HELL would EVER say something like that to a soldiers wife. I mean, really....REALLY!!! Who even would dare say that!

There has been other things said and I just am in awe of the lack of common sense and the lack of courtesy people are showing to the men in the military.

So here is what I have to say. To the Men and Women who are serving our country...Thank you! That sounds so trite when you are literally putting it all on the line. To the Men and Women and Children who have family serving our country, thank you for putting it all on the line. To the rest of us, rather we support the war or not, we ALL should be supporting the men and women who fight daily for us to bitch about everything else going on in the world and not have terrible consequences, and show compassion for the families who are going through a living hell waiting for their loved one to return!

3 comments:

  1. Why don't you put your feelings out there a little more Buggs! Seriously, I think you did a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People can be ignorant! Who knows why people say such stupid things! I have so much respect for all our troops and the hard work that they do for all of us! And I know, how hard it can be for the families. Hang in there! He will be home before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe how STUPID people can be! I would think this would be one of the hardest things a person would have to go through, not that I have ever had to go through it personally. But I have the greatest respect for our military and their families. Who could be so cruel to say such horrible things to someone. I am so glad that you posted this, I think people need to know. Tell J, that I pray for them every night and I hope that she is doing okay.

    ReplyDelete