Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Perfect Day, For a Very Neat Man

As you all know, yesterday was St. Patricks Day. This day kind of is a fun day for my family because my sister was married on that day, ten years ago! However, yesterday turned out to be an even cooler day in my eyes. Which I didn't even know about, until reading the same sisters blog, today.

Here's why. My step-mom's dad was a great man! He was always very sweet to me and someone who always was quick to crack a joke or make a funny comment. He was hilarious. I was never very close to him, but he was someone I really enjoyed being around.

Over the last couple of years, he has become ill. He has Alzheimer's and his health has deteriorated steadily. I have not seen him in several years, yet have heard through family how he was.

Well, last night Don Haggerty passed away. I have to explain why I think this is so neat. Don was 100% Irish. He was a Catholic who went to church regularly, and always ended a conversation with "God Bless." He truly was an incredible man, who was many people's hero. I have seen my brothers push themselves physically to be able to compete with their grandfather. I have seen my sisters look up to him, and love spending an evening at his dinner table. I have seen my step-mom look up to him, and truly know he was her hero. He was a great man.

A few days ago, I was on the phone with my step-mom and asked how Don was doing, She told met that he was fading, and was expected to fall into a coma shortly. She told me she was able to talk to her dad and tell him she loved him and that it was okay for him to go. She told me that his response was, "He loved her and God Bless."

When she told me that, I got chills head to toe, and could literally hear him saying that to his baby girl. Yesterday morning, while I was at work, a random thought popped in my head, I thought, "Today would be the perfect day for Don to go." And never thought about it again.

This afternoon I have found out that last night his family was over for corn beef and cabbage, and the ultimate Irish dinner. Don had fallen into a coma two days before, but I believe that having his family there and it being the Day for the Irish, he felt at peace to finally let go.

Don was 87 years old. He was the longest living person who suffered from a health condition. He has accomplished a lifetime of accomplishments. He has raised an amazing family, and has blessed more than I can even imagine.

So, to Don Haggerty, you had one hell of a ride, and someone who I have always found quite a character and loved being around. I am grateful to know you are finally at peace and no longer in pain. "God Bless!"

2 comments:

  1. That was a wonderful tribute to my grandfather. I just cried reading it and I have held it together pretty well. Thank you for the nice words, he was such and amazing man and I am so glad that I had 30 wonderful years with him. I love him so much and am going to miss him. But he was suffering and I am at peace with him gone. He will always be with me. You are a great sister and I appreciate all that you do. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. It made me cry too. I knew him the least out of all the kids, but it still brought tears to my eyes. Good job Buggs!

    ReplyDelete