Monday, November 22, 2010

A Snowy Memory

Saturday night was the first big snow of the year, and boy did it snow. I was headed to a surprise birthday party, and the snow had begun. By the time I was half way to my sister-in-laws to drop off Little Man, the freeway was scary covered in snow. However, by the time I got to the destination North, it was rain and we were good to go.

I drove out with Kristie and Rand because Dustin was going to meet us after he got off work and I only wanted one vehicle. The party begins and the snow continued to fall. Every half hour or so we would go outside and the snow continued to fall. As the night went on the snow continued to accumulate and when we left at 2:00 am, there was probably close to ten inches at Mandy's.

Dustin and I went and picked up Carter, but the freeways were clean and I decided to just take my truck home as well. Most don't know, but I do not handle snowy roads well. I have massive anxiety over it and chose to avoid it as much as possible. But with the roads in decent shape, I decided to go ahead and drive the suburban home.

That night, depending on where you are in the Valley, there was a fresh 10-18 inches of snow on the ground. The one thing about snow is it is absolutely BEAUTIFUL for the scenery.

Sunday morning Dustin wanted to sleep and Carter was not going to let that happen. So, we dressed and went on an adventure to the grocery store and a stop for coffee. As I was driving I was in complete awe of the beauty and truly enjoyed my time being outside...probably will be the only time this year, let's be honest.

That is not all I wanted this to be about though...Saturday night driving home I had a memory flashback that I hadn't thought of in years and years and I want to write it down so I never forget it again.

It was probably the second winter after my mom and dad had seperated. My dad had an apartment that we called "The Treehouse" because he was on the 3rd floor and a tree covered the apartment. We loved our hangout and time with my dad.

One night, a snow storm came about, and I want to say it was the beginning of the winter season. We watched as the complex filled with snow and beauty. It was late, I don't remember time but I know it was late. And someone...probably dad...decided we should go have a snowball fight.

We didn't have the proper attire, but that never stopped us before. So we used what we had...Dad's socks! His socks quickly became ear warmers and gloves, and out the door we went, just dad and us three girls.

We threw snowballs.

We chased one another up and down the parking lot.

We laughed and tee-heed for what seems like now hours.

We set off car alarms, and WE. HAD. FUN!

I loved that night! We went in we made hot chocolate, and I am sure crashed hard when it was finally time. But looking back now, what a great memory! What a fun time for my sisters and my dad.

I hope Carter will have memories with us such as that.


WELCOME WINTER!

3 comments:

  1. That is a great memory Linds! I love memories like that! Also, when did you get a Suburban? I am totally out of the loop on your life! Sad! :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when you remember memories out of the blue. Something just triggers it. The snow is so beautiful and I can't wait until we get some down here, hopefully it come with this big storm we are suppose to get today. I love reading your blog, keep up the good work. I was wondering the same thing about the suburban.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is funny, I had that same memory on Saturday while I was seeing my client. I do love it and yes it was dad's idea

    ReplyDelete