Monday, July 27, 2009

Birth Day

So, I didn't get to blog yesterday, due to a series of birthday events, but I wanted to write about what happened a year ago from yesterday a day late.

July 26, 2008: It started with a phone call from our agency and immediately we were talking money. Jane started explaining to us travel expenses, hospital expenses, money and time spent with Keita before due date etc. It was all very overwhelming, but I was able to manage until Jane tells me the following.

Keita is from Georgia, which is the most expensive hub in the country to have people flying from into Salt Lake. Go figure. So our travel expense right now was a little over $1500. Well, I then find out that that is only one way! So I am going to have to pay that much for them to get home as well. Okay...I will figure it out. Then, I get this...The birth father is going to be flying in on Wednesday and you will also have to pay for that expense!

Wait! WHAT!?!?!?! So, I ask, are you telling me I am looking at over $5000 in travel, and the reply is a simple yes. Okay, now I understood adoption to some extent but the things you just don't count on can drop me to my knees!

So, I hang up the phone and am immediately feeling very discouraged! I call my mom and tell her that we are going to have to reconsider. There just not might be a way for us to afford this situation. Once again there is immediate disappointment and frustration for both Dustin and me.

Well after several phone calls, to a million people, Dustin and I got so frustrated my mom said, "Just go pick up Keita. We will figure everything out." So, that is exactly what we were headed to do.

Dustin and I were talking about what we were going to do and pulled into Costco for gas. My cell phone rang, AGAIN, and it was my agency, AGAIN!!! I was very frustrated and answered probably a little abruptly. Jane says to me, "Hi, Lindsey. Are you heading to get Nekeita yet?" And me being the mellow person I am, firmly states back, "We are on our way, I was just trying to figure out finances!"

This is what I hear next, "Well, turn around. There has been a change of plans. Nekeita's water just broke and we will be heading towards the hospital shortly. She would like you there as soon as you can. Congratulations, you are becoming parents very quickly!"

As you can imagine our attitudes changed immediately and everything fell into place. We called our parents, ran to see my mom, cried A LOT!, and got some last minute things together. Then headed towards the hospital.

Once we got to the hospital Nekeita was very excited to see us. We spent the afternoon together and she just kept informing us that she wasn't ready, but apparently that didn't matter because Carter was. Internally I was thanking all my lucky stars, because now we would be able to keep this baby!

After a few quick hours 6:30 came around and Keita began began pushing. At 6:47 pm on July 26th, 2008 our 6 lbs 5 oz 19 in. long son, Dustin Carter was born. I was so fortunate to be in the delivery room and able to cut his umbilical cord. It was the most amazing thing that I will never forget!

Carter immediately left the room and then was shortly put to a Level 2 baby due to rapid breathing. Because we were adoptive parents we didn't get many rights. Thankfully a nurse let us in to see him, but we were not able to hold him or be in there long. That was the toughest.

That night Dustin, Keita, and myself shared a hospital room. We were not able to see Carter after, except through windows, but we were able to spend some amazing time with Keita.

It truly was one of the BEST days of our lives!

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE reading this experience. I have had tears in my eyes almost every single post! You two must have been the parents for Carter with the way things just fit right into place for you.. even though there seemed to be many setbacks, as well. Thank you for sharing this touching story with everyone. Happy (late) Birthday Carter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Lindsey! It was meant to be - and it's quite a story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It truly was meant to be!!! I remember all of this so vividly and I will always cherish being able to be your person to turn to. You guys are such wonderful parents to Carter and I am can't believe it has already been a year!!! WOW!

    ReplyDelete