Monday, August 23, 2010

First Day Jitters

Today was my first day of school with kids. It is so crazy to know my summer has come and gone! This morning, I found myself wide awake before the alarm went off. Of course I didn't get out of bed, but I just laid there thinking about all this new school year may bring!

When the alarm finally went off, I jumped out of bed...which never happens! I ALWAYS hit snooze at least twice! In to the bathroom to make sure my straightener was on, I had to have it super hot.

Then the big decisions...what color eye shadow...pink...curly hair or straight hair...straight...up or down...down, oh....MUST cut my bangs...I think they ended up a little cricket, but we keep going. On to the outfit...I want to look professional, yet young...serious, but cool...denim skirt and white t-shirt! Oh, but don't forget the SPANX, MUST look skinnier then I am! DONE! Ready for work!

As I am driving to work, I literally giggle out loud. I. AM. NERVOUS! I am now on my seventh year of teaching and here I am with butterflies. I have been out of school for 10+ years, and I realize I have the first day jitters.

I get into my classroom and I realize I am happy to see kids. I am excited to motivate, to teach, to be taught, to love, to forgive, to endure the challenges, and to be the best teacher I can be. I am ready for my 9th graders to grasp concepts, understand challenges, feel comfortable asking for help, succeed in classes, and begin working towards GRADUATION! How exciting is that for them! They have so much to look forward to!

As my day wrapped up, I realized it was a good day. I love a new school year. I love the idea of a clean slate, new ideas, new material, new students, and new school supplies. Oh, how I love thee!!! There are days I am sure I teach JUST so I can buy markers, pens, paper, tape, clips, crayons, etc. I. LOVE. SCHOOL. SUPPLIES.

Tonight I am exhausted. I of course had some more school supply shopping to get done tonight and didn't make it home until 7:00 pm. But there is a part of me that is anxious to get back to school tomorrow, to continue checking off items on my to do list and start to get into the swing of a new school year.

I am so relieved to have this feeling again. For the first time, this was a very hard year for me to go back to work and I feared I was losing the passion to teach. I think I realize it is losing the extra quality time with Carter I was sad to leave, because as soon as the first student walked through my door, it was okay to be back to work.

Today I was excited to be in a school. Today, I remembered I. LOVE. BEING. A. TEACHER!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I hope when my kids start school their teachers love their job like you do!! That makes all the difference! I can only imagine what an awesome classroom you have, how much learning happens, and how much your students love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so funny, eye color really?

    ReplyDelete