Tuesday, October 26, 2010

"Fatties"

I was just out in blogger world, when I came across a letter a blogger I follow had written to the Chief Editor of MarieClaire. I read her letter and could tell she was all sorts of fired up. So, I clicked on this link, http://www.marieclaire.com/sex-love/dating-blog/overweight-couples-on-television, and read the blog. It is VERY rare I get as upset as I am right now, based on someones view and reading.

Anyway...Here is my letter. I hope there comes a point where this woman decides she has done enough damage and resigns or better yet the magazine releases her from her position.

Dear Maura,
 
I am writing in response to your article, "Should "Fatties" Get A Room? Even on TV?"
 
First let me start by saying I am a mother, a wife, a teacher, and a dear friend to many. I am educated and have completed my Masters Degree of Science in School Counseling. I am a lover, a fighter, extremely opinionated yet always willing to listen. I have had the opportunity to experience many great things and I am grateful for all I have. Having said that, I am also plus sized. I have been for as long as I can remember.
 
I read a letter from a blogger who was replying to your blog on "Fatties." After reading her letter, I thought to myself..."There is no way it could be as insensitive as it sounds. MarieClaire is a HUGE publication, and they would not target and offend a population of people based on their weight." I decided to click on her link, to your article, and read it myself. I have never been so appalled in a writing as I am tonight with your blog post.
 
With where the world is today on bullying and suicides, how dare you post a blog such as that. How dare you put your disgust for a person based on their weight, on such a highly read magazine. It is so sad to me, that you would write this and have such a negative impact on so many, when you could have the opportunity to embrace your position and say something positive. Instead, you have made people who are overweight continue to feel like they are less of a person due to the number on a scale. You have made people who are overweight feel like they don't deserve to be loved. They shouldn't dare show affection in public because, "I think I'd be grossed out if I had to watch two characters with rolls and rolls of fat kissing each other ... because I'd be grossed out if I had to watch them doing anything."
 
How dare you...in reading this, how dare you belittle so many. How dare you feel like you are better then those who have weight issues because you don't. How dare you think you are worth more and should have the right to do other things because you are skinny! How dare you! Then to have the audacity to make the comment, "Yes, anorexia is sick, but at least some slim models are simply naturally skinny."
 
Have you ever heard of health conditions that are highly related to people who are obese. If not, maybe you should educate yourself a little before publishing something such as this. Have you heard of Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome? It is where women suffer from weight, abnormal hair growth, and many aren't able to have children due to the cysts and chemical imbalances this disease gives. But again, in your eyes, maybe someone who is overweight shouldn't get to be a parent...right?
 
Have you ever heard of Thyroid disease? This also can contribute to people being overweight and many doctors aren't able to detect the problem for years and years.
 
I suffer from both these diseases. I have HUGE body issues and ALWAYS have. I have always thought I wasn't worth as much as my family and friends because I have always been the heaviest. I have always wondered what it would be like to walk into a department store and not wonder where the plus size section is. I have walked past hundreds of people in my life and thought, "I bet they don't see anything but a fat girl walk by." I have always felt less of a person because of my weight and it is people like YOU that make people like ME feel like they aren't worth a damn.
 
I am so angry and so appalled by your writing. Your apology will never be enough for the amount of people you have hurt. I hope there comes a time where you are able to look at what is truly hurting people and instead of bullying the population being targeted, you will step up take the higher road and be an advocate for those suffering.
 
Lindsey Adams
lindsey_d_adams@Hotmail.com

3 comments:

  1. what a gREAT letter! It is really a JOKE how people are out there. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! I read the original post,so I had an idea on what you were responding to, all I can say is...she will likely not have a job tomorrow. There are so many upset people, I don't think her retraction is going to save her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great letter Linds. May I just say that I think you are a better writer than she is. There are a lot of ignorant people in this world and I am so sorry you were hurt by one of them. You are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete