Friday, February 13, 2009

Finally...Carter is Officially Official!

Well, it has taken me a few days...okay 10!, to get around to blogging about court. I have thought about just skipping it, but it was such an important day and so fabulous, I don't feel like I can. So, here it goes.

So, we had court on February 3, I could hardly sleep and was an emotional mess Tuesday morning. I got up, showered, got ready, and then got my little man ready. Dustin was as nervous as I was, so it was kind of a quiet morning. We had to be to court at 8:30. Well, we left at 7:55, and I was a nervous wreck the entire drive. I was on the verge of tears, everything was making me emotional, and I was tired.

When we got to the court house, Nathan pulled in next to us, and we walked in together.
When we got upstairs our attorney greeted us, and Aunt Tammy was waiting as well. We talked to our attorney about what we could expect and then just continued to wait.

By 8:30 all of our family had drifted in and my nerves were out of control.
As I stated in my earlier blog, Dustin and I had agreed I would be the one going up on the stand. Oh boy, I was crawling out of my skin and everyone kept telling me, "Breathe Lindsey....Take a breath Lindsey....," etc. Blah, I needed to be nervous, it was my Little Man we were talking about here!

We had two adoptions before us and it was a little reassuring. The families would go in and about 20 minutes later, come out smiling and still had their babies. So...I was getting more hopeful.

Finally, it was our turn. The judge was already in the court room and immediately made the process very relaxed. Our attorney told Dustin and I where to sit, and then the judge told everyone else they could sit anywhere, even in the jury seats if they wanted to. They all sat behind Dustin, Carter, and me.

It began with our social worker taking the stand and testifying about our family. They talked about the adoption process, if Carter had been in our home for six months, if we had our pre and post placement studies, if she felt like we were fit to be his parents, etc. She said yes to them all!

Then came my turn....it was a cake walk! My attorney asked if I could stay seated with my family and the judge was fine with that. Les, my attorney, then began to ask questions. He asked if I felt like Dustin was a fit father, if I understood that by adopting Carter he would be treated as my own natural child, if Dustin and I were to divorce Carter would be treated as my own natural child, etc, etc. I had to really focus on what he was saying because I wanted to make sure I answered them correctly, but it was pretty easy. Then the attorney turned to Dustin and said, "Do you understand all of the questions I just asked your wife," "yes," "Do you agree?" "Yes."

The attorney then stated Carter's full name, with our last name at the end, ask the judge to accept the motion, the judge began to talk and went through some legal information and then began with, "Dustin, I hereby order you...," my heart dropped and I thought we were going to be in trouble, "to take your wife to dinner, anywhere she would like to go, as a celebration. That is court ordered, do you understand?" We all broke out in laughter, Dustin said, "Yes, Your Honor," and it was done! HOORAY!!!

I had instant tears and was so relieved. We then asked the judge if we could take Carter up for pictures, and the judge said absolutely. I took Carter up to the bench and the judge pulled a box of beanie baby toys out and told Carter to pick one. While Carter was looking the judge asked to hold him and I sent him over. It was so cute!! The judge and Carter picked out his Beanie Baby and then just hung for several minutes. The judge then pulled out his gavel and let Carter hold it.

We then had several pictures with the judge, with family, with just our family, etc. It was perfect. It truly was the best day ever! Our judge was AMAZING and made the entire experience incredible.

Dustin and I then went downstairs filled out some final paperwork, and then went to Little America with our family for breakfast. We continued to giggle and laugh and be on cloud nine all day. Dustin and I took more pictures with family and friends, and then immediately went to Costco to get them all developed!

We want to thank everyone for all of the love and support everybody has shown for our family during the last 6 months. It has been quite the ride!

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you posted this. I have been waiting to hear about it. I am soo happy for you two and really want to meet your little man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you decided to post about court! And it's sooooo exciting to hear that Carter is officially offical! Reading your post made me CRY Linds!!!! It sounds like adopting a child is just as much of an emotional roller coaster as giving birth...if not MORE! What a special day for your family. And dang girl! That blue dress is spectacular!!!! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete