Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Downfall of a Working Mommy!

So, yesterday right after work I get a text message from Dustin. It says, "Have to be in at work tomorrow at 8 am due to a safety meeting." With that text comes instant sadness because I know what I have to do.

My sister, Stacy, babysits Carter for us and we are ever so grateful. She is currently prego and has a soon to be two year old of her own, and yet takes on my little man. Needless to say, her days get long when she has Carter. So, we always try to get Dustin to go in at 1:30 and have two week days off, so that Carter is only with Stacy for 3 days during the week for a couple hours each day. Sounds easy, right? Well, it isn't!

This week Dustin's schedule is 100% off because of Jocelyn's wedding on Saturday. So he is working all 5 week day's and then has the weekend off. This is great for my immediate family because we finally get a day off together, first time in a month! However, it makes our work week hell.

Last week we had talked to my mother-in-law and she had agreed to take Carter on Wednesday and then we would go get him Thursday. No BIG deal, I can handle one night without my Peanut. However, with the text that Dustin sent yesterday, things had to change completely. Having Stacy take Carter for a full day, when she already had a doctors appointment and an injured foot, would be to much for her. So, I had to call my mother-in-law and see if she could watch him today as well.

Still not seeming like a big deal...right? Well, hang on there is more. My sister-in-law also needed my mother-in-law to take her son to school. So, my mother-in-law would not be able to come get Carter until about 9:15 and Stacy had her doctor appointment at 8:50. So, I had to give Carter up last night! Which means, I will not have my baby last night, tonight, or tomorrow night! That is THREE nights without my son. I'm not gonna lied, I cried like a 4 year old!

I truly was so sad to give Carter to my sister-in-law last night. I know he is in great care, and I don't worry about him at all, I just miss my little guy. Luckily there turned out to be a family dinner tonight for St. Patty's Day, and I will see him for a little bit, but then I won't see him AT ALL tomorrow and not till about 4:30 on Thursday. That has NEVER happened. I have never gone a full day without my little guy! :-(

Last night at 1:30 Dustin rolls over and says to me, "I miss our Little Guy!" I got instant tears and said, "Me too!" There was not much we could do about the situation, and it is what it is, but we don't have to like it!!!

I've always known I would be a working Mommy. I usually don't mind being a working Mommy. I feel like I have picked a pretty good job since I do have to work. However, last night when I was watching "Dancing With The Stars" and Carter wasn't there next to me, I thought, "and here is a major downfall to being a working Mommy!"

5 comments:

  1. I so sorry, I feel so bad. Let me know if I can help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWWW Girl! Your post brings tears to my eyes! I don't think I can say I know how you feel, cause I don't. I can't imagine having to do that and I think you are an amazing and strong woman for doing it! You are an amazing mother, teacher, wife, and friend! Even though these next days without Carter are going to be sooooo hard just know that you will see him soon and he will be so excited to see you! I love you Linds! Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you through this hard time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I TOTALLY understand how you feel! I'm not gonna see Audrey tomorrow OR Thursday for more than 30 minutes because I have a couple of loooong days at work.

    You are much stronger than me! I only work 3 days a week & I complain WAY TOO MUCH about it and I cry about missing Audrey at work. *Sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really do know how you feel. I worked for the first 3 years of Bai's life and it was very hard every single time I had to drop her off at someone's house and especially at daycare.. that was VERY hard! It is awesome that even though it is hard for you, it is so that you can provide for him and he will be able to look back on it someday.. maybe in a long time.. and realize what a sacrifice it was and thank you. You are awesome and I want to see your little man before I go.. do you think we could get some of us college girls together within the next montH??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janelle - that sounds like so much fun! Everyone better be able to clear their schedules for one day!

    ReplyDelete