Saturday, September 11, 2010

One Night A Year....

One night a year, my family of three, goes to a barbecue. While we are there, every family is very similar to ours. There are TONS of children, most African American. There are tons of parents, most caucasian. And we ALL have something in common...we all adopted from Heart and Soul, at least once.

Last night we went to the annual Heart and Soul barbecue. We have gone every year since we got Carter and look forward to it everytime. For those short few hours we are surrounded by people who know what it is truly like to walk the adoption path. Who know how much love is given to a child, even if they aren't biologically ours. During those short hours we are surrounded by families who look just like ours, and I. LOVE. IT!!!

The families all seem to awe every child there. Every one has an adoption story, similar backgrounds, but every one different, every one special. People are friendly and look forward to talking with families there. Everyone wants to know the person sitting next to them story, because they can relate and understand. The love for every child there is shown and it exuberates a special kind of atmosphere.

As we were there last night I saw a woman there, and I had a thought that she is probably a birthmom. Then in speaking with one of the owners of our agency, we found out she was. This birthmom started looking around for a little boy. He is 2 1/2 years old and she wanted to know if she could spot this little man out of a crowd. I don't know if she found him or if they were introduced but I watched.

I am sitting at a table watching this family with their birthmother and I am in awe. I am watching this birthmother look at her son in admiration. The love she had for this little man beamed from her face. She was grinning ear to ear and overly joyed with having that short time with the little person she carried.

While I was watching this interaction I became pretty emotional. So many of us are so blessed by adoption and by birth families. Our family wouldn't be here without them. I am so grateful. To then watch this birthmother share that special moment with her son and adoptive family.

I hope one day Carter and Keita have the opportunity to meet. I hope one day he gets to see how much his birthmom loves him. Last night, I was affirmed that when you adopt their are two mommy's and daddy's for that little person. One parental group created and decided to carry their little person. Then at some point, determine they cannot raise this child and place the baby for adoption. The next set of parentals come in and grasp that child with all the love they have and never look back. Pretty damn incredible...both sides.

Every day goes on, and I often think how grateful I am for our adoption story. It is magical. It is real. It is the ultimate love. I know Dustin and I are not done adopting. I don't have any idea how we will ever come up with a way to afford it again, but I know when the time is right, the money will come and our next child will be waiting. Knowing that gets me through rough times and I think to myself...I can't wait to do it again!

2 comments:

  1. What a good idea to get together with other adoptive families! Your family is perfect and you all fit together so well. And I do absolutely love your adoption story..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post Linds! I think that is great that they have that BBQ you so you can talk to others in your same shoes. You are both such great parents to Carter and he is so lucky to have you. The next lil baby that comes around will be just as lucky! Love you!

    ReplyDelete