Sunday, February 6, 2011

Fish Heaven

I have gone to write this post a half a dozen times and then always get side tracked. Then I think, well it happened awhile ago, so maybe just let it go. BUT, everytime I think about this little story,I smile, and it is one I want to always remember.

So...Here it is...Our tale of "FISH HEAVEN"

For Carter's second birthday, one of my dearest friends Kenzi, bought Carter a male beta fish. He was blue and Kenzi provided the bowl and the food. I fought this little animal for weeks before, but also knew there would be a fish joining Our Lil Adams Family fairly soon.

Carter decided to name the fish "Dorothy," because that is Elmo's fish name and Carter loveds Elmo. So, our male beta was named Dorothy. I will be honest, I had very little to do with the caring of Dorothy. Carter and Dustin fed him every day and every night Carter told Dorothy good night.

When we moved into our new house, Dorothy made the transition smoothly and all was well...until Dustin had to clean the fish bowl. Dustin did his normal cleaning, put Dorothy back, and after a few minutes Dorothy wasn't doing so hot. A little while later Carter comes in and says, "Mommy, Dorothy belly showing."

Turns out, fish can't survive water softener water...Oops!!!

So, Dorothy died. Dustin wanted to dig a hole and bury him outside, but I told him no...we were going to flush Dorothy.

We started to explain to Carter, "Fish Heaven." We explained that Dorothy had died so she could go to the biggest ocean ever. We told him that Dorothy would have so many friends and that in order for him to get to fish heaven, we had to flush him down the potty.

We went upstairs with Dorothys bowl, gathered around the porcelain god, and had a few nice words. We thanked him for being our first family pet, and told him how much he was loved by our Little Man. We then told Carter it was time to put Dorothy in the toilet and flush him down the potty. And that is exactly what Carter did. As Dorothy was being flushed Carter waved goodbye, and then closed the lid. He then immediately opened the lid back up and said, "Mom! Me go get my fishing pole and catch Dorothy now?"

I burst out laughing but then tried to explain that we could not catch Dorothy, that she was now in fish heaven, and fishing poles were not aloud in the toilet.

A few days later, we went to the store and bought two more fish. Bert and Ernie. However, Ernie didn't survive 48 hours, so we were quick to send him to "fish heaven" so he could be with Dorothy. Carter wasn't so sad about Ernie and flushed him quickly.

Carter continued to ask about Dorothy, and I would just simply ask back, "Where is Dorothy?" He always would say, "Dorty in fish heaven." So fun!

Dustin and Carter have now developed a love for fish. We now have a large tank with Bert, Zoe, Abbey, Donovan, the 5 for $5 fish, and 2 ribbit frogs. It is actually nice to have a tank and hear the water.

1 comment:

  1. LOL! So I get it, all the names are from sesame street. Except for er...Donovan??? LOL! Please explain! I dread the day we have to explain any form of heaven to Caden and Kaylee. My cat Milo is getting old, I mean old! I don't even know how to talk about the concept when I am not even comfortable about it! Ugh! Sounds like you guys did a good job and Carter understood. :-)

    ReplyDelete