Monday, February 21, 2011

Taking On A Project

Several weeks ago Dustin bought a couple of fish tanks, a stand, and all of the stuff to fill the tank off KSL. I had told him I did not want a tank that big, but never really looked at it. He stored it in the bathroom downstairs, and since I never go down there it became out of sight out of mind.

The other day I needed to go downstairs, and for the first time I saw the tank and stand. Let me just say it was hideous!



But, I looked at it, and decided I kind of liked it. It just needed a LOT of TLC.



Yesterday afternoon, once Dustin was home, I decided to go to Lowe's and see what I could find. I had the idea of paining it teal with white over it. I don't have tons of money, so I just decided to go look at the oops paint. I found a can that was a blue/teal color for $2.50! I decided that would be perfect! I then had them mix me up a can of off white. I was going to buy some crackle but it was $24 and I didn't want to spend that much, so I just went home.

Once I got home I took off the doors and the hardware and began my little project. I painted the whole thing blue, and I loved it!!!



I knew I wanted to cackle it so I let it dry overnight. Last night as I was on the internet I decided to see if Michael's sold crackle, and they did! So, first thing this morning, I ran to Michael's and found it for $5. I then found the finishing spray and a basket on sale. I had a 20% off coupon and ended up paying $18 for everything! HOORAY for waiting!

I got home and applied the crackle and then had to wait a couple more hours.



Once it was dry, I applied the white. If I am being honest with myself, I am not sure how I felt about it once it was on. I have never done this by myself before and decided, what the hell, if I hate it, I will just junk the dumb thing anyway. So, I finished painting on the white. I then waited for it to dry and then applied the finishing spray. Still didn't know if I was going to love it.

The spray dried and I finally got to reapply the hardware. When I was done, I recognized I was grinning. I then couldn't wait to get it upstairs into the front room, to see how it looked. So, I carried it up and ended up taking a chunk out of my side, but it was worth it!

I got it in the right spot, put on the basket I bought at Michael's and I am SUPER stoked with how it turned out!



HOORAH!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Great job! I am impressed, see there is a Becky deep down inside you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang!! You're GOOD! Decorating is so much fun, but it can be expensive! Looks like you found some fun stuff for a reasonble price AND you made it look good! Extra talented

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Linds! Love it! So are you going to put a fish tank on top of it or will that go somewhere else?

    ReplyDelete