Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Washington Day 3

Day 3 was...hmmm....an experience.

I spent the first part of my morning with a team for one of the students. For the most part they were able to take in the information, ask questions, and come up with a game plan for their student. I was able to meet the parents and I will admit they are what gave me courage to keep explaining information and looking for answers.

I then went for lunch and headed to my second school. This meeting was interesting but it went fine. Near the end of my meeting, I had given the idea of using headphones for one of the students. The family had not found a pair of headphones that the child would wear, and I mentioned skullcandys. I wanted to try it and see if the student would even just wear them around their neck.

Once the child came down, I talked to them and asked if we could listen to a story together. They agreed, so we put them on around the neck. After a few minutes, they were on their ears, and the student loved them. The child immediately began smiling and truly made my heart melt.

I was so excited that I was able to find a pair of headphones that would work for them. I asked the school and family to please keep them there so if the child needed them, they were there. As I left, I felt like if nothing else I had left them with a tool.

I found sadness in my heart as I walked out of that school on Wednesday. What lies ahead for those kiddoes is challenging, and heartbreaking. I wish I could take a part of the pain with me back home, so that the families wouldn't have to endure so much.

I got in my car and immediately headed back to Seattle. I felt like there was nothing else I could do there and was anxious to see Liz. Unfortunately the drive took me a little less than four hours due to a horrible snow storm, but I made it to Liz's with very little problems.





I had the pleasure to meet Liz's husband, Brad, and the three of us went to dinner. We then checked into my hotel and headed back to their home. After a few minutes of chatting, we were all exhausted so I went back into Seattle.




With very little fuss, I was able to refind my hotel, but could not find a parking spot. I drove and drove but did not know where to park my car. I finally decided to just go with valet, got all my stuff unloaded, and then read a sign that said, "Valet parking $27 + taxes" FORGET THAT!!!

Back into my car...Driving...Driving...Driving...Finally called the hotel only to find out they DO NOT HAVE PARKING unless you valet. WHAT! I was so unhappy, but what do you do?

I unloaded everything again, went up to my room and went to bed. I was pretty drained, and anxious for morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment