Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Exhaustion...

Today was the end of a chaotic 10 days for me, and I am so relieved to be done. As you all know I am a special education teacher and there are a lot of legalities that go along with it. We have files, we have IEP's, we have to make sure things are being implemented, etc. Once every five years we have UPIPS, which is where the state comes in and audits everything, interviews us, and does a check and balance of where we stand as a district.

I take the paperwork part of my job very seriously, and kind of pride myself on how well I do paperwork. In looking at my students files, I quickly realized just how bad of shape they were in. So, last week I spent the entire week completing what I can, fixing what I could, and on Friday stayed until 7:30 putting the files in order. I then brought home four more and completed them over the weekend. It was very stressful and a little disheartening to see the kinds of shape some of my files were in and the lack of professionalism in teachers, across the state, for making sure things were done correctly. Like I said, I take the file very seriously because that is what protects myself and the district if there were ever to be a litigation.

By Sunday evening I was pretty stressed. I had completed my files, marked them where they needed to be fixed, and then worked on filling out my questionnaire of the questions they were going to ask. I was feeling so overwhelmed my poor face broke out in hives, and I looked amazing! LOL

Yesterday I spent the entire day preparing for my audit. I went to different schools to gather anything and everything I could to complete my files, and that took my entire morning. Then in the afternoon I met with my principal and my general education teacher to complete the survey questions. I then spent my evening quizzing myself, trying to make sure I knew everything.

Today was the big day. I added a little extra make-up to try to hide some of my hives, yes they are still here, and dressed a little more professional, tried to breathe and headed to work. But don't you worry, the auditors didn't come until 1:00, so I got to worry about it all morning.

I received several phone calls from a dear friend of mine who was at the high school this morning during their audit, and was giving me information in what I would need to have ready for my turn. I was continuing to study up to the very last possible second, and for two of the questions had to break down and make-up acronyms to remember the answers.

I finally was up. They picked two of my files randomly, one I feel good about and the other one I feel okay about, and they were off critiquing every piece of paper. I then was called in for my interview and was EXTREMELY nervous.

The woman who interviewed me turns out to be a dear friend of my aunt, which you would think would help make it less intense, right? WRONG!!! I hold my aunt on such a pedastool that I want her to be proud to say I am her niece. I know, kind of cheesie, but very true. My aunt is an incredible special educator and someone I have so much respect for, I want her to know I am trying my best too!

Anyway, here came the questions. They were just like what I had studied and I felt pretty comfortable with my answers. I must admit, I had to ask if I could use my fingers when they would ask for more than 3 answers, because I wanted to make sure I got enough. After NINE pages of interviews we were down to the last 4 questions, and they were the ones I kept struggling with. However, I am pleased to report "DAPPE" and "3CRD" paid off and I nailed the questions!!! My acronyms worked and I was able to answer the questions with only a little thought. Ten full pages of interview questions on special education...DONE!

Once the interview was over, I quickly called my aunt to tell her who had interviewed me. My aunt knows what an UPIPS audit is like since she is in the business, and had been sweating bullets with me for five days now. So, we giggled and talked about what happened and then she told me to go get a drink and sleep well!

I left work today feeling like I did my job, and it was very rewarding. I know, no matter what the auditors come back with, I gave it my all. I worked hard and I know I gave it the best I could and I am proud of myself. Within an hour of hanging up, my dear Aunt had called me back and told me I did do well. She had spoken with her friend, and she said besides my nerves I did "wonderful." (I paid the woman to tell my aunt that, because I don't want her disappointed. ;-) ) So, yeah! I did it and I am glad it is over! Now I am anxious to see what the reports really say...dun, dun, dun!!!

P.S. I really did come home, have a drink and now I am headed for bed!

3 comments:

  1. congrats on finshing an audit -- UGH! You deserve a drink & a break!! your example is just one of the reasons I couldn't handle the job...I hate to admit it. As a teacher I realized how well I DON'T perform under stress. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww Linds I am sorry you have hives!! I am glad your stressful day is over! Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sad is it that I was a special ed. teacher and didn't even know you had to do audits? I am a little embarrassed actually! I am glad that yours is over with! Phew! I am sure everything will come back showing you are a pro at what you do! Good job girl...you rock!

    ReplyDelete