Tuesday, January 12, 2010

I Want to Learn

I have come across a friends family blog, and in looking at it the other day, I noticed how amazing some of her pictures are. I have been talking about wanting to learn how to take better pictures but I have no idea how. I have always loved pictures and taken a bunch of them, but they are never like wowsers.



I decided to e-mail her and just tell her how incredible I thought her pictures were. Well, she was very sweet and e-mailed me back expressing her love for photography and how she just takes thousands of pictures and hopes to get a few good ones from there. So, I thought....hmmmm, well I can just start taking pictures. I think I have a fairly nice camera and that is the beauty of digital, I don't have to print every one to see if I like them or not.



I quickly e-mailed her back asking her if she had any tips for me and again, she wrote back. She said to fill a room with natural light and then turn off the flash. I was pretty excited except it is January in Utah and nearly impossible to fill our room with natural light. So, I turned on my regular lights and then played off and on with the flash. I also learned that my motion sensor is my flash, so if Carter is moving and it is down, it won't work. BLAH! Anyway, I played for a little bit and actually had a lot of fun. I got a few pictures and hope to keep getting tricks and become a better photographer so I can be sure to capture some neat moments.



For my first practice shoot, I took about 60 pictures, and out of them all there are 2 that I like and one that is okay. Hmmm.......I have a long way to go. I am excited to hopefully learn this hobby and have something different to experiment with. If you have photography tips, please pass them on.

5 comments:

  1. You should check out iheartfaces.com it's a site all about natural light photography for newbies! it gives tips for taking photos & editing. It also has weekly theme and contests for best photos.

    good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your subject should not be in the middle of the picture, it should be in 2/3 of the picture. So it is off to the side slightly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have always been interested in photography, but I don't have a good enough camera! there is a blog called pioneerwoman.blogspot.com and she does a ton of photo ideas and gives "homework" and giveaways. she also has free finishes.. or something like that? good luck.. your bug is so cute that you don't need much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I so wanna be an amazing photographer too! I even have the camera to do so. I have been thinking about taking classes through community education to learn how to take better pictures! Let me know if you would want to join me. Love you! Oh and Carter is just so adorable! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These pictures are SOOOO darling! Good job!! Sometimes I watch random tutorials on youtube to help me out. But the most important thing is that you like your picture and that you'll look back on it and love the expression on your lil ones face. I have some pictures that are technically a lot better than others, but they don't move me the way the less perfect ones do. Just have fun with it and keep shooting!!

    ReplyDelete