Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Praying For Haiti

Tonight I received several different text messages from my husband stating how sad he is for the people in Haiti. Dustin has been reading different articles, seeing pictures of children, and looking at the wreckage from the 7.0 earthquake on January 12.



As my text messages were coming in, my husband was saying how badly he wishes he could protect some of the small children who are suffering so terribly. He went on to tell me that babies, five and six months old, don't even have a name, they have numbers. They are in desperate need of placing children into homes, trying to get children into hospitals where they can be taken care of, children who are suffering from dehydration, starvation, injuries, and the list goes on.



I sat there looking at pictures, that literally brought tears to my eyes and made my stomach turn, of the people in Haiti. The hell they are living through, makes me truly wonder how would I survive...Honestly, I don't think I would. To have enough belief in life to get up and keep going the next day, while seeing your world in shambles, blows me away. My heart truly aches for this country, these people and their children.



I began to do some research, as my husband had asked, to see if we could find a way to get involved in adopting one or two of these children. Here is what I could find. It looks like all adoptions have been closed for now. It also appears that the United States is trying to get a grant past, where some of the funding and expense will be provided if you are willing to adopt a child. However, until further notice, this is not an option.



Now, I understand the desire to want to reunite these children with family. I would pray someone would take the time to look for Carter's family. Having said that, there are over a million children right now, who they know need to be placed into orphanages or homes. Yet as these children are suffering they are closing the door to adoptive families. I am not advocating for anybody to be able to step in and adopt. However, I do feel like if you have a current home study, and can get your paperwork together, people should be able to step in and start taking some of these children into our homes.



Dustin and I have wanted more children ever since we were placed with Carter. We have never closed our adoption doors because we believe we have more children coming to us. To hear there are so many babies and children in desperate need of a family, and to know we are a family who would love to have more children, is heartbreaking. Dustin said to me tonight, I fear agencies are going to try to make a fortune out of a crisis. Now, I hadn't really thought that way, but after he said that, it literally made me ill to believe that may be exactly what happens. There are so many families who want children and are willing to pay to get them, yet don't have the financial means to do so. It is unfair that money becomes an issue that stops families from being able to find one another. If you hear of ways to get involved in adopting some of these children, please let me know immediately. Dustin and I truly are trying to find a way to bring one or two of these little ones home.



I pray some how, through the madness and hell Haiti is going through, the people can find some sort of comfort in their grief. I pray for the families who are searching for their loved ones, God bless you in your search. I pray that the grant goes through, where some of the finance becomes available to help adoptive families be placed with some of these children who are living an absolute nightmare. My heart truly aches for all those people in Haiti and what they are going through tonight.



I usually don't look at the articles and pictures after tragedies such as this. I find it very hard for me to deal with this type of disaster mentally and imagine what it would be like to see suffering such as this. Tonight I am humbled by it all. I like to bitch about my year so far, and tonight, I would like to apologize for all of my whining. My life is good. I have an amazing husband who brings these thoughts to my attention. I have the world's sweetest baby boy tucked safely in his bed sound asleep. I have a family who supports me and a job that provides for me. Tonight I am humbled. Tonight I am blessed. Tonight...I am grateful for exactly where my life is.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if this will help, but my friend works for an office that is currently bringing Haiti orphans to the states. She just posted about it on her blog, which is adventuremaughan.blogspot.com. The company is For His Glory Adoption Outreach. I'm not sure if they are adopting them out right now, or just collecting the means to set it up.. but I though I would let you know! you are an amazing person, linds

    ReplyDelete