Monday, January 11, 2010

Take Two!

I had my miscarriage on the sixth of this month, and as I already have stated it was not very pleasant. However, I was in high hopes and kind of understanding, I would be done with pain and back on my feet fairly quickly. Right...oh no, not in my world.

I have been in serious amounts of pain since I was in the emergency room. I have had horrifying abdominal pain and continued to have severe cramping. I called my doctor on Friday and explained to the nurse what I was feeling. I asked they make sure to please call me back, but they didn't. Great, so here came the weekend and I continued to be in pain.

Saturday I never even got out of bed until 3:30 and that was only because Dustin had a work Christmas party we had already paid for. So, I got ready and we went. Within a couple of hours, I was in so much pain, we didn't stay for dancing or anything, we just left. By the time I got home I was on the phone with the emergency room, asking them what to expect. They told me to take my pain pills, lay on a heating pad, and if the pain didn't go away, go into the emergency room. Well, it must have lessened because I ended up falling asleep and slept through the night.

Sunday morning arrived, and I still continued to have abdominal pain. I sat for the majority of the day and by 6:00 pm last night, again I was in so much pain. So, I called my on-call doctor, and she called me back shortly after. I explained to her my circumstances and at first she didn't seem overly worried.

She told me I could wait a few more days and see what happens or she could prescribe me a medication that would complete my miscarriage if it wasn't already. She asked if I had been given an ultrasound after the miscarriage and I said no. Her knowing that made her a little more concerned. She called in some medication and told me to go pick it up and to do both rounds. If my miscarriage wasn't complete I would go back to heavier bleeding, and continue to pass clots.

As I am waiting for my meds at the pharmacy, I decide to ask a couple more questions on the medication. They told me to take the second dose if I needed it. So, I said "Well, how will I know if I need it or not?" The response I receive is..."Oh you'll know!" I then asked them a few more questions and they were unable to give me any answers. In other words the damn pharmacist had no idea what in the hell she was talking about! I was so frustrated I just paid for my pills and left.

When I got home I was very hesitant and anxious to be taking more pills. I have been in so much pain, the thought of triggering more pain was a lot for me to handle. After speaking with Dustin and him doing some research, I took a pain pill and then took the first dose.

Thankfully, my miscarriage was incomplete. After very little sleep last night, I was able to confirm that was the problem and am doing better. I took my final dose at 9a.m. and at this point am feeling better than I have in 6 days. The medication has triggered a headache and I am tired, but FINALLY my abdominal pain is nearly gone.

I am anxiously awaiting getting back to work, and moving on with my life. It has been one hell of a ride.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry you have had to go through all this stress, sadness, and pain! I really had no idea you could even have an incomplete miscarriage! I am glad that the doctors figured it out and you are on the road to recovery! Time will heal those deep wounds of yours! I am here for you if you need me!

    ReplyDelete