Saturday, June 4, 2011

That's A Wrap

June 3, 2011...THE LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!

What a year it has been. I have NEVER had a school year like I have had this past year. I have dealt with a group of students from one extreme to another and I think I have grown more professionally and personally these past 10 months then I ever thought could be possible.

I have been tested, tried, and have fallen head over heels for a group of kids I didn't know could absolutely win my heart. This year there has been a challenge in our area that is gang related.

We went through a few weeks where it seemed like we were always breaking up groups, trying to get kids to leave one another alone, focus on school, and do anything but fight. It was emotionally exhausting and the school was wearing thin. However, do to the BEST administration I have EVER had the pleasure working for, things fell back into routine and back on track.

This year I had the pleasure in getting to know a certain group of kids and saw a side I didn't know existed for so many. This group won my heart and I will never forget it. I have had to have some pretty intense conversations with them, have learned about some of their life events out of school, gone head to head with other teachers for the sake of a child instead of a behavior, and in the end had more love and respect from a group most shy away from then I have ever known.

Thursday night Tracy and I attended promotion. I watched one of my kids, whom I have taught since 5th grade, present a speech to the 9th grade class, that I helped him write. I watched close to 300 students walk across the stage to receive their certificate of completion, I bawled like a baby when the concert choir sang Michael Jackson's, "Heal the World," because I do wonder what the world will be like for the next generations.

I lost it when the final student who had promised me would be there, showed up 15 minutes late. As I was wiping tears and feeling like the proudest teacher in the world, I recognized that Tracy and I were the only ones there for a group of students and this broke my heart. So, after, we took pictures, we laughed, and we chatted for a little bit.

As I went home my heart ached for my kids and yet I knew they were there and taking in the moment, their right of passage, like they promised me they would. It meant the world.

Yesterday was yearbook day. I signed everyone of their books with a message of love, hope, and letting them know I cared. They signed mine and Tracy's and said things that I never thought I would have the priviledge to read as a teacher. They loved us and told us how much we made a difference in their life this year. And I really know it was sincere.

As they were wrapping up their year and getting ready to go, they each gave me a hug. I cried again, and told them how great they were. I made them promise me they would come visit and take care of themselves. They promised me they would see me in the fall, which is a big deal for us, and then I ended with, "make good choices."

The promise and the saying to make good choices is what I know they will always remember me by. And if nothing else happened this year, my students all knew they were cared about and loved. They all knew there is someone who believes completely in them. They all knew that I am always going to be here and only an e-mail away.

Next year I have a new vice principal, we found out on Tuesday, and I couldn't be more disappointed. My administration this year has backed me and supported me more than ever. I am so sad to have Scott leave, but in the same breath grateful my kids will have a familiar face as they enter the halls of high school.

Thank you to my 9th grade class...the class of 2014. This year has had ups and downs, but I truly believe it is the best year I have had as an educator. I have had sleepless nights, long days, rough hours, and so much more. Thank you, I will miss you all and fully expect graduation and all major life announcements from each of you! Much love...Take care of you, make good choices, and I promise to see you in
August.

2 comments:

  1. I think you just might be the best teacher in the whole wide world!!! Seriously. You're totally right - if the kids get nothing from the year but the fact they they were truly loved and cared for, that's all you could ask. Isn't it crazy how all those difficult and seemingly impossible times/situations only make you love those kids even more??

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got me all teary eyed Linds, because I know what an amazing teacher you are. There is no doubt in my mind that you have changed those kids lives for the better and they will remember you always! Congrats on having such a successful year, it doesn't surprise me at all! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete