Sunday, June 19, 2011

A Visit From Janelle

When I was 19 years old, my friend Liz McGee and I went to Pennsylvania for a summer to be camp counselors at Camp Joy. We spent the whole summer back east working with people who had disabilities. While we were there I had the priviledge to get to meet and really get to know some amazing people. The summer was short lived, we all promised we'd be back the next year to work again, but life happened. Not many of us went back, we lost touch with so many, and I didn't hear from some of these people for many years. Then Facebook came to life and fortunately I have been able to reconnect with some of my friends from Camp Joy.

Well, almost a year ago Janelle and I started talking about her coming to Utah. Janelle is from New York but has recently moved to the west coast and currently living in California. We had tried to setup a few weekends together where she could come in, but due to scheduling and jobs, it had been difficult.

Last Monday night I had had quite a day. I had been out shopping with my sister and was in a pretty good space. I got on facebook and read that Janelle was in St. George, UT. WHAT!?!?!?! I quickly called her, found out she was headed our way on Tuesday and would be spending five days with us. HOORAY!

Janelle arrived on Tuesday afternoon. When she got there it was so fun to see her and how much she has changed, and yet how much she was still the Janelle I so loved from Camp.



Janelle was very interested in learning more about the LDS religion and the best place to learn is Salt Lake, so her first night here we took her up to the Salt Lake Temple and walked the grounds. I forgot how pretty Temple Square really is, and I think Janelle really loved seeing and talking to so many people.







Wednesday morning I had a business meeting and had to leave Janelle for a bit. When I got back she was getting ready and wanted to go to lunch and bum. Unfortunately, I fell asleep, and due to the circumstance Janelle let me sleep and spent the rest of her day and evening back downtown reasearching the LDS church.

Thursday Janelle and I just spent the day at home. We both needed a nap and then just talked and relaxed. That night, once Dustin was off work, we went to The Pie for dinner. I LOVE The Pie, and think the atmosphere is so fun. I think Janelle enjoyed the scenery and the food.









After we were done at The Pie, we took Janelle up above the Capitol and to the view. I wanted her to be able to see the city at night and see how pretty Salt Lake City is all lit up.





Friday was our last real day together before she left. I took her out to Antelope Island so she could see The Great Salt Lake and how pretty it really is. I have never really been in charge of showing someone Utah, and I must say, though I still do not believe there is a ton to see, the physical beauty of Utah is INCREDIBLE.









After Antelope Island we came home and watched tv then got ready for a bbq at Kristie and Rand's. Corey and Nikeita joined us and we enjoyed the night.

We had a lot going on at our house this week, and I don't know if I was necessarily the best hostess. However, I really enjoyed having Janelle here and getting to show her a little part of Utah.

No comments:

Post a Comment